Following the news of the late monarch’s death on Thursday, the orchestra said it was going ahead with their season-opening performance but that it would be in “tribute to the memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II”.
In a statement about the show’s programme, Sir Simon said: “This season-opening concert, a celebration of British music of the 20th and 21st centuries, is our tribute to the memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.”
“A celebration of life in Frank Bridge’s Enter Spring; a meditation on legacy, tradition and the passing of time in Sun Poem, a new work by British composer Daniel Kidane; and the noble grandeur of Elgar’s Second Symphony, which was written for, and dedicated to the memory of, King Edward VII.”
The Queen had been a patron of the orchestra since her accession to the throne in 1952.
Following the death of the monarch, the orchestra said a statement: “The London Symphony Orchestra is deeply saddened by the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
“Her Majesty had been the LSO’s Patron since her accession to the throne in 1952, continuing a long association of the Sovereign with the orchestra and its players, stretching back to its formation in 1904.
“The orchestra is privileged to have hosted Her Majesty at many of its concerts and events – from opening the Barbican Centre in 1982, to hosting a gala at Buckingham Palace in 2015.
“The Queen was present at some of the most significant moments in our history and was a loyal and committed supporter of the orchestra throughout her reign.
“The London Symphony Orchestra sends its condolences to the royal family at this sad timeâ¯and joins the nation in mourning our much-loved monarch.”
The orchestra confirmed their upcoming shows on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday will also go ahead as planned with no changes to the repertoire but that the national anthem will also be played at the start of each concert.