Car attack driver who rammed into pedestrians with mother's vehicle admits murder charge

David Harding
Contributor
Saeed Noori faces life in prison for the attack

A man who deliberately rammed a car into pedestrians in a busy Australian city street injuring 17 people has pleaded guilty to multiple charges including murder.

Saeed Noori drove his mother’s car into pedestrians on December 21 last year on a pavement in Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest city.

One of his victims, 83-year-old, Antonios Crocaris, later died from his injuries.

Noori, 33, pleaded guilty in the Victoria state Supreme Court on Friday to the murder of Crocaris.

Noori being arrested after the attack

He now faces a potential life sentence.

The attack happened when he drove his mother’s SUV into pedestrians at a major Melbourne intersection.

It was alleged that he shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ after the attack.

Police also found images of car attacks on his computer, including those in London and Barcelona, and police said he had a ‘certain degree of radicalisation’.

However,  politicians said he was not linked to any extremist groups.

Noori’s lawyers said he suffered from schrizophenia and had not slept, nor eaten for days before the attack.

Noori was arrested immediately after the attack

Noori was born in Afghanistan but was an Australian citizen by the time of the attack after coming to the country as a refugee in 2004.

He also pleaded guilty to 11 counts of recklessly causing serious injury, which carries a potential maximum of 15 years in prison.

Noori faces life in prison (AFP)

In addition, he pleaded guilty to five counts of conduct endangering life, which carries a potential 10 years in prison.

He will return to court for sentencing in February.

A month ago in Melbourne, a man was shot dead after stabbing three people, killing one, in a suspected terror attack.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK