Paraglider airlifted to hospital after crash landing in Bath field

A paraglider was airlifted to hospital following a crash landing in a field in Bath. Emergency services responded to reports of a paraglider crashed into a field near Lansdown Park and Ride at around 9.20pm on Tuesday (June 25).

According to witnesses in the area, the pilot was reportedly performing tricks and stunts in the air but suddenly crashed into the field. Police officers, paramedics and air ambulance quickly arrived at the scene to give the pilot medical treatment.

He was later airlifted to Southmead Hospital in Bristol for further treatment. Avon and Somerset Police has since reported the incident to the British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association for investigation.

READ MORE - Four people injured in serious lorry crash in Somerset

READ MORE - Plans for 30 new homes to built next to Somerset golf club

A statement from Avon and Somerset Police said: “Emergency services responded to reports of a paraglider coming down into a field near Lansdown Park and Ride, Bath, at about 9.20pm on Tuesday, June 25. The pilot suffered significant injuries and went to hospital by air ambulance. The incident has been reported to the British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, for investigation.”

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) added: “We were called at 21:38hrs on Tuesday, June 25 to an incident in Bath. We sent an air ambulance, hazardous area response team, rapid response team, and a double-crewed land ambulance to the scene of the incident and conveyed one patient by air ambulance to Southmead Hospital.

A witness, who was driving along the A36 when the crash occurred, said: “I was driving on A36 past the Globe Inn and I looked up to Cabot's Tower and saw a paraglider which looked it was in freefall. It was spinning around.

I then went to Lansdown Park and Ride and saw an air ambulance air come along with the fire service and police. When I got to the area, he was on the floor.”

He added: “It was amazing to see what brilliant service we have and help them. There were about 25 members of emergency services there and that was within 10 minutes.”