Police make new arrest in Matthew Schofield murder investigation

Matthew Schofield with his mum Emma Daniels.
-Credit: (Image: Emma Daniels/ Leicestershire Police)

Detectives investigating the murder of Matthew Schofield have today (Thursday, June 27) arrested a teenager - the 17th person to be arrested in the case. The male, aged 18, was arrested on suspicion of murder and following a police interview has since been released on bail.

Matthew’s death has been the subject of an ongoing police investigation, with no one having been charged with his murder a year on from his death. He was found dead in Belgrave Road, Belgrave, Leicester, in the early hours of Sunday 11 June 2023.

Enquiries led officers to discover the 34-year-old had been assaulted in the street, close to the junction with Belgrave Circle, at around 3am.

READ MORE: Police say Matthew Schofield would still be alive if somebody had helped him after attack

The police said in a statement today: "During the past year, detectives have continued to work to establish the circumstances surrounding his death and identify the people involved in the incident prior to Matthew being found.

"A total of 17 people have been arrested in connection with the investigation. Thirteen people are currently on police bail, one person was released under investigation and three were released with no further action.

"Throughout the investigation police have continued to appeal for people to come forward with information which may assist."

In December last year, six months after the attack, Matthew’s mother Emma Daniels joined Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Mark Parish, to make a heartfelt appeal for anyone who may know something to ‘do the right thing’.

DI Parish said in an appeal on BBC’s Crimewatch Live in March this year that the 34-year-old's death could have been avoided if someone had called an ambulance or put Matthew in the recovery position.

Instead, Matthew was left face down for 90 minutes after he was attacked by a group of men in a car park. Matthew's death was initially considered to be "unexplained", but Leicestershire Police later said Matthew had been assaulted before his body was found.

The force subsequently launched a murder inquiry which led to numerous arrests. However, nobody has yet appeared in court over the killing.