Strawberries dumped by the truckload in Australia as needle scare spreads to other fruits

Strawberries are being dumped by the truckload in Australia as the country’s needle scare extends to other fruits.

Nationwide fears about hidden sewing needles inside the fruit have caused have caused producers to jettison their strawberries.

Growers have started using metal detectors and the Australian government has launched an investigation to restore confidence in the popular fruit.

The government of Queensland state, where the contamination scare started last week, has offered a 100,000 Australian dollar (£55,000) reward for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for inserting needles into strawberries after six brands – Donnybrook Berries, Love Berry, Delightful Strawberries, Oasis, Berry Obsession and Berry Licious – were recalled.

Footage released by Donnybrook shows truckloads of strawberries being dumped.

Strawberries are being dumped by the truckload after the needle scare (Picture: Yahoo News)

The scare had spread across the nation, with needles reportedly found in strawberries in all six Australian states.

Police in New South Wales said on Tuesday that needles had been found in more than 20 strawberry punnets, and there were reports that a banana and apple also had needles in them.

READ MORE ON YAHOO UK

Fred and Rose West’s daughter fears her parents ‘killed 30 more women’
Triathlete banned from all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant after downing 100 dishes
Watch: Ryanair passengers films baggage handler stealing from suitcase
In pictures: China’s Typhoon Mangkhut forces 2.5 million to evacuate
This picture of an ‘invisible’ car is blowing peoples’ minds online

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt ordered the national food safety watchdog to investigate Queensland’s handling of the needle scare.

He directed Food Standards Australia New Zealand to investigate whether there are supply chain weaknesses that need to be fixed.

“The job is very, very clear. Protect the public and keep them safe,” Mr Hunt told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Both of New Zealand’s major food distributors, Foodstuffs and Countdown, announced on Monday they are taking Australian strawberries off their shelves because of the scare.

New Zealand imports Australian strawberries when they are out of season locally from April to September, and both chains say the home-grown product will be on supermarket shelves soon.

Queensland Strawberry Growers Association vice president Adrian Schultz said what had started as a single act of “commercial terrorism” had brought a multimillion-dollar industry to its knees.

“I’m angry for all the associated people, it’s the farmers, the people who supply them, the packaging people, the truckies with families to support, who suddenly lose their jobs … it’s far-reaching,” Mr Schultz said.

Major Australian supermarket chains Coles and Aldi have pulled all strawberries from their shelves across Australia except in Western Australia state as a precaution.

Strawberries have been removed from supermarket shelves in Australia (Picture: AP)

But Western Australia police announced on Monday that the first suspected needle contamination case has been reported in locally grown fruit.

A man in the town of York reported to police that he found a needle in a sink after washing strawberries.

The report came after a seven-year-old girl in South Australia state found a needle in a Western Australia-grown strawberry on Saturday.

Western Australia Health Minister Roger Cook said the needle could have been inserted in the fruit after it arrived in South Australia.

Strawberry Growers Association of Western Australia president Neil Handasyde said growers had received requests from major retailers and insurance companies to scan fruit for needles.

Australian police said on Tuesday they had yet to identify a suspect or a motive.