Thugs who butchered dogs with hammers and knives in broad daylight unmasked

THESE are the shocking images that show armed thugs corner their victim and his dogs before butchering the animals as part of a revenge attack.

Four men wielding hammers and steak knives brazenly chased another man and his two Alsatians into an Edinburgh shop in broad daylight.

Fearing for his life, the man barricaded himself inside the Premier Calder Park Supermarket, leaving his dogs trapped and cowering in fear.

The animals, which appear to pose no threat, were stabbed, slashed and bludgeoned with hammers in the sickening attack.

One local told the Record: "This was terrifying. There were at least four young men - all dressed in black and with masks - chasing one guy and his two dogs all around the Calders estate.

“They were tooled up with hammers and knives.

"They cornered the guy at a local shop and he managed to sort of close the door and barricade himself inside

"But these two Alsatian dogs were still outside the shop trying to protect their owner.

"That's when the gang decided to set about the dogs.

“One was stabbed to death and the other looked touch and go.

"I live nearby and I can tell you people are disgusted and shocked that this happened in broad daylight.

“This was a row of busy shops in the middle of the estate and there were kids around looking on. It's horrific.”

One of the gang members appeared to film the incident on his mobile phone.

Locals had watched in horror as the mindless bloodbath was carried out on Friday afternoon.

Bystanders, including a man pushing a baby in a pram, were ignored as the thugs taunted their intended target.

The ring leader yelled, “Ya f***ing sh***bag” as they closed in.

A woman, who did not wish to be identified said: “I was waiting in the queue when a man came running in with his two dogs saying he was being chased by four guys.

“All of a sudden the four men came storming in carrying large knives and metal bars.

“What happened next will live with me for the rest of my life.

“The men started beating the man and then when he jumped behind the counter they began attacking his two dogs.

“The dogs were barking but one of the guys just plunged a knife into one the Alsatian’s neck and slashed the face of the other one.

“They were battering the dogs with metal bars too.

“The first dog just slumped to the ground and was making gurgling noises and the four guys just ran away.

“Who does that to two dogs in broad daylight? It is just sickening.

“There was a group of children in there at the time too, but we managed to usher them out of the shop before they could really see anything.

“I tried to help the dog but as soon as I got to it I knew it was dead.

“Its eyes were glazed over and there was blood everywhere.

"It was a total bloodbath in there.

“The dog owner was inconsolable when he realised the dog was dead and I heard he rushed the other dog to a local vets because it had serious injuries to its face and head.

“There’s rumours the gang had beef with the guy for the past couple of nights but nobody deserves that happening to them.

“There are plenty of cameras in the shop, and the men were not wearing masks so they should be easily identifiable.”

Following reports of the disturbance and attacks, police and dog handlers raced to the scene.

A heavy police presence remained as officers carried out their investigations into the terrifying ordeal.

After an Alsatian was pronounced dead at the scene, a local veterinary practice Thistle Vets carried the dead animal wrapped in an orange plastic covering to a waiting vehicle.

The second dog had life-threatening injuries and was rushed to a different vet’s surgery for treatment.

Police also recovered CCTV footage from the shop and subsequently made two arrests.

Daniel Devlin, 37, appeared from custody at a private hearing at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday, where he faced two allegations of causing a protected animal unnecessary suffering.

Devlin, of no fixed abode, was also charged with one allegation of assault, one of vandalism and further charge of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner.

He made no plea and the case was remanded in custody and committed for further examination.

He is due to appear back at the court within eight days.

A 39-year-old woman was also charged in connection with a breach of the beach offence and will be the subject of a report to the Procurator Fiscal.

A director of Thistle Vets said: “One of the dogs was pronounced dead at the scene and the other was taken to another practice because we were getting ready to close.

“We believe the other dog survived.”

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Join the Daily Record's WhatsApp community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.

Follow us on Twitter at @Daily_Record for updates. For the latest news and breaking news visit