Woman killed disabled man two days after her daughter was jailed for robbing him

Kimberley Ann Hawkins
Kimberley Ann Hawkins pleaded guilty to manslaughter at Bristol Crown Court on Thursday and will be sentenced at a later date - UNPIXS

A 41-year-old woman killed a disabled father-of-two days after her daughter was jailed for robbing him, The Telegraph can reveal.

Kimberley Ann Hawkins, from Stroud, Gloucestershire, left Neil Shadwick, 63, to die in sub-zero temperatures outside a Tesco car park after forcefully taking his mobility scooter in January last year.

Mr Shadwick, who had Parkinson’s disease, was well known in the local community and relied on the scooter to get around.

He lived in sheltered accommodation about a mile away from the supermarket in an area known to be blighted by drugs and prostitution.

Mr Shadwick was discovered by a member of staff collapsed outside the Tesco superstore at Stratford Park, at around 6am on Jan 22, having been spotted at the cash machine during the early hours of that Sunday morning.

The temperature at the time was -4C. He was taken to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital where he later died.

A member of the public discovered a scooter abandoned on a quiet road more than a mile away.

Hawkins pleaded guilty to manslaughter at Bristol Crown Court on Thursday and will be sentenced at a later date.

Shadwick robbed of phone and wallet

It can now be revealed that on Jan 20, two days before his death, Serena Hotchkins, Hawkins’s 24-year-old daughter, had been jailed for three years and seven months after breaking into Mr Shadwick’s home, with an accomplice, and violently robbing him of his phone and wallet.

Gloucester Crown Court heard how in May 2022, Hotchkins and Antony Gardiner, 64, forced their way into Mr Shadwick’s bedroom demanding money.

When Mr Shadwick tried to make the pair leave, Gardiner, who has 61 convictions for 250 offences, throttled him.

Alistair Haggerty, prosecutor, told the court: “Afterwards, the man [Mr Shadwick] was unable to find his mobile phone to call the police, so he tried to walk to a neighbouring house for help, but because of his condition, he fell over.

“He had to crawl across the floor to get to a neighbour who he woke up and was able to call the police.”

Gardiner was jailed for five years.

In a victim impact statement, the court heard how Mr Shadwick was left terrified by the assault and refused to leave his home.

Detective Inspector Adam Stacey, from the Major Crime Investigation Team at Gloucestershire Police, said: “Hawkins’ sickening actions had tragically fatal consequences for a man whom she knew full well to be extremely vulnerable.”

He added: “I welcome her guilty plea, which has meant that Mr Shadwick’s family at least have not had to endure a lengthy trial in court.

“Our thoughts remain with his family at this very difficult time.”