What's happening? A judge has said the former Metropolitan Police officer who abused his position to prey on women and girls could have been stopped if complaints had been taken more seriously.
The Met was criticised by judge Noel Lucas KC on Tuesday as he jailed ex-PC Adam Provan, 44, for 16 years for a series of rapes spanning eight years.
The judge said 16-year-old victim Lauren Taylor would have been spared had a female police officer’s initial complaints been taken seriously.
Lucas told Provan that it was “highly troubling” that the female officer’s colleagues “were more concerned about looking out for ‘one of their own’ than in taking her seriously”.
He added: “Had they done so, it may be that Ms Taylor would have been spared the ordeal she has had to go through.”
Lucas told the officer that the treatment she received from the Met was “abysmal”.
Assistant commissioner Louisa Rolfe said she was “ashamed and saddened”, adding that “it’s quite clear from what we’ve seen already that we have let the victims down and that must never happen again”.
Read more: Ex-Met Police officer who ‘exploited... vulnerable women’ jailed for 16 years on 8 counts of rape (London World, 7 min)
Yahoo looks at some of the most troubling revelations from the case.
Met was warned convicted rapist was unsuitable to be an officer
Provan’s suitability as a police officer was questioned just months after he begun his training in February 2003.
According to a timeline released by the Met Police, two members of the public raised concerns with the force after they alleged that he had shown overly violent and sexualised behaviour when he was growing up.
Watch: Senior Met officer urges officers to be ‘professional curious’ about colleagues
Provan was referred to occupational health professionals.
It came a week after he was interviewed by police over an allegation of sexual touching against him by a 15-year-old girl.
No further action was taken following liaison with the Crown Prosecution Service.
Read more: Met was warned that convicted rapist was unsuitable to be an officer – months after he started (Sky News, 5 min)
Met probing if serial rapist officer attacked other women
Scotland Yard has announced a review of Provan’s full service - including before he joined the Met - to identify potential victims, who are being encouraged to come forward.
The Met’s assistant commissioner, Louisa Rolfe, said the force was “looking” at contacting the 751 female contacts found on Provan’s mobile phone.
She said: “I understand a small number of those had contact details with them, some of them were just names, some of them contained derogatory information about women.”
Asked if the Met will contact any of the women, she added: “If we have information that will enable us to do that, but also if anybody is concerned, then of course we are looking at what that means.
“We’ll be looking at those details and seeing what we can do.”
Read more: Met probing if serial rapist officer attacked other women as he is jailed for 16 years (Evening Standard, 7 min)
Woman who was raped by Met Police officer speaks out: ‘I had to tell the truth’
In 2016, Lauren Taylor came forward to say Provan raped her on a blind date when she was 16 in 2010.
Ms Taylor, now 29, had agreed to go to the cinema with Provan after he lied about his age, saying he was 22, and said he was a police officer.
Waiving her anonymity, Taylor said she felt compelled to act after becoming a mother at the age of 22 and watching a television documentary about the paedophile presenter Jimmy Savile.
On her decision to report Provan, she said: “I felt like maybe the only way I’m ever going to deal with it is by talking about it. Talking about it and doing something about it.”
Giving evidence in court was “very traumatic” and “like repeating a nightmare over and over again”, but she said: “I just had to keep going. I had to tell the truth.”
Read more: Woman who was raped by Met Police officer speaks out: ‘I had to tell the truth’ (The Independent, 5 min)