CORRECTION: EU speaks out against El-Talawy's slamming of elections monitoring mission

Mervat El-Tallawy

The European Union released a statement on Monday regarding a recent outburst by the head of Egypt's National Council for Women, who ranted at a press conference over what she said was a failure by an EU delegation to properly monitor last week's presidential election.

Speaking at a National Council for Women press conference on Saturday, the council's chairperson Mervat El-Talawy took aim at representatives of the EU's Election Observation Mission (EOM) in Egypt, many of whom were present in the audience, saying that their "mission was to observe whether we had a fair and free election or not … which you have failed to do this time."

"We are proud of our country, we are proud of our Egypt, we are proud of our new president of Egypt … [It's] a new era in Egypt whether you like it or not," she continued.

El-Talawy also said of the EOM's preliminary report: "We do not accept it, please take it back."

The EOM representatives walked out of the conference, to the cheers of some of the attendees.

However, the EU's statement on Monday reaffirmed its "strong support" of the National Council for Women, adding that it "funds their valuable work".

The statement said that El-Talway was "somewhat misinformed about the EU's [EOM] preliminary report, which should be read in its entirety."

"The EOM, which is an independent body, has in fact made a thoroughly professional assessment of the vote," the statement read.

The EOM's preliminary statement, released on 29 May, said "the Presidential Elections Commission (PEC) administered the election professionally and overall in line with the law". However, it said that the last minute addition of a third voting day "while not against the law, caused unnecessary uncertainty in the electoral process."

The statement also talked of freedoms, adding that "there was a general climate of limited freedom of expression, reportedly resulting also in self-censorship of journalists".

Furthermore, the statement read said that "in election days in some governorates a number of journalists were reportedly obstructed in their work, arrested and detained while covering the polling."

According to unofficial results, El-Sisi is Egypt's new president after securing a landslide victory of over 96 percent of valid votes, with over 23 million ballots cast in his favour.

Sabahi garnered a humble 3.5 percent, with less than 800,000 votes. The turnout was around 47 percent. 

 

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting