An all-female rowing crew completed a record-breaking journey from San Francisco to Hawaii on the morning of Tuesday, July 26, after rowing for nearly 35 consecutive days.
The four women – Libby Costello, Sophia Denison Johnston, Brooke Downes, and Adrienne Smith – left San Francisco Bay on June 21 and rowed more than 2,400 nautical miles (2,761.8 land miles) in a completed time of 34 days, 14 hours, and 11 minutes.
Their arrival to Waikiki Yacht Club in Honolulu on Monday evening made them the fastest-ever female team to complete the journey, beating the previous women’s record by an entire day, local media said.
To achieve the feat, the crew rowed in pairs for two-hour shifts, 24 hours a day, ate pre-packaged meals, and never slept more than 90 minutes at a time, according to news reports
It was part of the Great Pacific Race, considered one of the toughest races in the world, where rowing teams complete the journey from California to Hawaii entirely self-supported and unassisted.
The team raised money for the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), a charity dedicated to increasing awareness and improving the diagnosis, treatment, and cure of anxiety and other mental disorders in children and adults. Credit: @lat35racing via Storyful
- All right. Just passed under Big Red.
- On our way to Hawaii.
- Next stop.
- What about your seasickness, [INAUDIBLE]?
- You guys. I have only puked once. [INAUDIBLE] whatever.
So I don't know what's going on, but [INAUDIBLE]. Want to eat my ramen after I got off the [INAUDIBLE] instead of just forcing it out. [INAUDIBLE]. Also [INAUDIBLE] dropped a new flavor when I was gone. Some maple brown sugar. First thing I want when I get to Hawaii, that's for sure.
You can hear the--you can hear the-- you can hear the music.
- [INAUDIBLE] in the world.
- Oh, there we go. Now do it.
- I am on fire.
- I am a wave.
- More awake than anybody in the world.
- Hi, everyone. It's Team Lat 35. We just wanted to say we've been getting all of your messages and comments. And we wanted to thank you. It really feels like you're a part of our team.
- Thank you!
- Thank you!
- We love hearing from you.
- We cried.
- We cried all the time.
- We love hearing from you guys. You guys are inspiring us too. Everybody stay strong, beautiful, kind, brave.
- So brave, courageous, strong, independent.
- Just there are no boats around.
- No boats around.
- No boats around, OK.
- [INAUDIBLE]. And [INAUDIBLE] is ready for takeoff [INAUDIBLE].
- We hope you like it. [INAUDIBLE] five star reviews.
- What? No tip?
- What? No tip?
- Hello, everybody.
- It's day 20-- 8.
- Four weeks!
- It's day 28, and we are about 480 miles from the finish line. And if you want to watch us finish, then you can go to Great Pacific Race, if you're on TikTok. And if you're on Instagram, follow Lat 35 Racing. And we will see you in Hawaii soon.
- Yay! I can't wait to celebrate with you.