Neilston knife thug 'laughed' while trying to stab police before being tasered three times

Finnlayson was finally brought under control after being tasered by arriving officers who had been called for backup.
-Credit: (Image: Northamptonshire Police)

A knife-wielding brute from Neilston has been jailed after 'laughing' while repeatedly trying to stab two police officers.

Gordon Finnlayson, 39, attacked the officers after they were called to a property in Northampton on March 8, following reports of an assault.

Northamptonshire Police were initially alerted to the incident by Police Scotland following a 999 call from a third-party stating a Scottish man working in the city had been slashed by an acquaintance.

Two local police attended a house in the area's Hazelwood Road, where they found the East Renfrewshire man with a Stanley knife in his hand. The 6ft 5in brute approached police despite orders to relinquish the weapon, forcing officers to attempt to disarm him.

READ MORE: Police at Govan protest slam 'dangerous and unacceptable disorder' as 14 people arrested

READ MORE: Jet2 flight bound for Glasgow diverted to Ireland due to 'medical emergency'

During the ensuing brawl, he knocked a female officer to the ground as he laughed while trying to stab and slash her. The second officer was thrown from the house while trying to disarm the 39-year-old as both were subject to repeated blows.

Finnlayson was finally brought under control after being tasered by arriving officers who had been called for backup. Police say that he continued to laugh as the circumstances of his arrest were read out while in custody.

Shocking bodycam footage from the incident shows the brute dressed only in T-shirt and shorts approach officers in a hallway, telling them: "You're too late." He can then be seen smiling and laughing as he slashes at one of the officers as she lies on the floor.

One of the officers screams: "Put the knife down! Put the knife down!" Finnlayson is heard calling the officer "a b****" as he walks out of the property as more officers arrive with tasers.

One of the injured officers is heard tearfully telling a colleague: "I don't know if I've been stabbed. Please check if I've been stabbed. I'm so sorry, I just stepped back."

Both officers, who have been hailed for their bravery, required medical attention but escaped without serious physical injury. Finnlayson plead guilty to two counts of Section 18 attempted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm at Northampton Crown Court on April 24.

On Wednesday (June 25), he was sentenced to a total of six years behind bars with the judge reflecting that he posed a danger to both police and the public. The court also heard of his 35 previous convictions, which included seven assaults on police officers.

Speaking afterwards, Detective Inspector Nick Peters of Northampton CID said: “These two officers showed incredible courage in the face of a violent and sustained attack by a man who was not only armed and much larger than them, but also appeared to be enjoying trying to seriously hurt them.

“During the incident, Finnlayson seemed to be trying to isolate the officers from one another so he could continue his assault without distraction. Without their determination and bravery in sticking together and protecting each other they could have been seriously or even fatally injured by him.

“Police officers come to work not knowing what their shift will bring, and although they are trained and prepared to deal with violent incidents, this is the kind of job no-one ever wants to face.

“With the officers’ agreement we have released their body-worn video from the incident, which shows just how unpredictable, violent and frightening Gordon Finnlayson was that night.

“Tackling serious violence is a matter of priority for our Force and we will always press for the strongest penalties for those who assault our officers, who are dedicated to protecting people and communities from those who would cause them harm.

“I’m really pleased to see such a strong custodial sentence handed down in this case, and want to thank all those involved for their work in ensuring a dangerous man has been brought to justice.”

Sign up to our daily Glasgow Live newsletter here to receive news and features direct to your inbox

Join Glasgow Live's WhatsApp community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.