'F*****g call the police... I'm gonna get arrested today': Man left NHS staff utterly terrified in vicious attack after storming surgery

Olumuiwa Oduntan, 61, barged into the Florence House medical practice and launched a violent attack on staff
-Credit: (Image: GMP)

A man knocked a doctor and receptionist unconscious as he attacked members of staff with a metal pole in a vicious attack at a GP surgery - after he failed to get an appointment. Olumuiwa Oduntan, 61, barged into the Florence House medical practice on Ashton Old Road, Openshaw, on September 17, 2021, 15 minutes after calling reception to ask for a repeat prescription.

After demanding an appointment, he was told there were none left. Oduntan then picked up a metal pole before smashing the safety glass at the desk, hitting a GP and two other staff members over the head and throwing a fourth NHS worker to the ground.

All four victims were left with injuries and suffered 'emotional and psychological' damage. One relocated to the Scottish Highlands as she was left 'too scared to leave the house'.

READ MORE: BMW driver admits killing 'loving father' in horror crash

Oduntan has now been jailed for six-and-a-half years. Prosecuting, Jonathan Savage earlier told Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court Oduntan made 'several' calls to the surgery to request a repeat prescription. He was told by staff to make the request via email, but instead 'demanded' he wanted an appointment to see the doctor.

When told there were no more appointments left for the day, he told the receptionist: "Tell you what, I'm coming down there now. I'm gonna get arrested today, cos I wanna speak to a doctor," Mr Savage said.

The court was told that around 15 minutes later, Oduntan arrived at the surgery and became 'angry', telling the receptionist to 'f***ing call the police'.

He grabbed a metal barrier pole and smashed the front screens of the reception desk, before jumping over the counter. He knocked the female receptionist unconscious after hitting her over the head, before attacking a doctor who rushed to help.

The practice manager then 'jumped on the defendant' to 'try to stop him attacking' the doctor, but was thrown to the floor as another member of staff was also hit over the head. Three staff members were rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Florence House Medical Practice
Florence House Medical Practice -Credit:Manchester Evening News

The receptionist knocked unconscious sustained a 10cm laceration to her head, swelling to her forehead and bruising to her chest. In a victim impact statement, the staff member, who had worked at the surgery for 14 years, said: "Watching them [the staff] be violently attacked... I don't think I can forget the picture of my colleagues bleeding and injured.

"I'm not the same person I was. The incident and court case has consumed me. One of the most significant impacts is my sleep - the sleepless nights are too numerous to count.

"The incident has had a lasting affect on my career. I did not feel safe in work. The incident itself had a huge impact on everyone at the surgery, those that were injured and those that witnessed it."

She said she regularly felt 'feelings of panic and dread' and that the incident is still at the 'forefront of her mind' and has had a 'huge impact' on her life.

The GP suffered swelling to the forehead, an undisplaced frontal bone fracture in his head and fractures to bones in his spine. Mr Savage told the court the doctor took four months off work after the attack and had to have counselling.

"I had mood swings and flashbacks that affected the relationship with my wife and children," the doctor said. "My family have suffered through seeing my injuries and seeing me change."

The third member of staff, who was treated in hospital for a laceration to her forehead and a traumatic brain injury after being struck by Oduntan said she had moved to the Scottish Highlands for a 'fresh start' after the horror attack. Due to her injuries, she has little memory of the incident.

Staff were attacked at the Florence House Medical Practice
Staff were attacked at the Florence House Medical Practice -Credit:Manchester Evening News

"I didn't leave the house for months," she said in a victim impact statement read out to court. "I hid behind closed doors too scared to leave the house and started to neglect myself.

"I am constantly on edge - when I see a metal pole I start to get palpitations. I don't like being in busy places and have moved to the Highlands of Scotland for a fresh start.

"I always fear the worst is about to happen and constantly worry."

The court was told she is under the care of the trauma rehabilitation clinic for her brain injury, as well as the neurology department due to migraines she is suffering, as well as therapy for the PTSD she is suffering as a result.

In mitigation, Stephen Akinsanya said Oduntan, who has a diagnosis of either paranoid schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, had gone without his medication for eight days at the time of the incident.

"For a defendant with mental illness diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic, it is possible for this defendant to have had a psychotic episode without the medication he was expected to have daily," he said.

Oduntan previously pleaded guilty to affray; three counts of causing grievous bodily harm; and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He denied three counts of wounding with intent and was acquitted of those charges following a trial earlier this year. He has no previous convictions.

"It is vitally important the situation does not repeat itself by him not receiving medication," Mr Akinsanya added. Oduntan, of Herne Street, Openshaw, was sentenced to six-and-a-half years, of which he has already served two years and eight months on remand. He was made the subject of restraining orders against the victims.

Oduntan was jailed at Minshull Street Crown Court
Oduntan was jailed at Minshull Street Crown Court -Credit:ABNM Photography

Judge Joanne Woodward said: "You were a patient at where the victims were all workers providing a public service. A lack of medication and your grievances against the GP caused you, having first made threats over the phone to attend the practice, to then enter that building armed with a barrier post, smashing windows, and reigning blows on the four victims.

"The injuries they sustained and the impact of those injuries has been set out in full, but is right to say they all received head injuries by reason of you striking them with the barrier pole across the head, causing lacerations.

"They suffered other sustained injuries, and it is little surprise that they have all been impacted both emotionally and psychologically to a profound degree

"A pre-sentence report that recognises the importance of you maintaining your access to medication. I note the joint opinion of a psychiatrist that your mental disorder had a disinhibiting effect on your behaviour."

DC Philippa Barker from GMP's North Manchester CID said: "We are pleased with today's result and hope it gives the victims, who each sustained serious injuries through unprovoked violence some peace and enables them to heal from this horrific experience.

"Violence in any form is not tolerated by GMP and we ensure that every case reported to us is thoroughly investigated. In this case, we are grateful to the victims and their willingness to support the prosecution through to trial and subsequent conviction and sentence."