Rubbish tipped over Nottinghamshire road after vape causes bin lorry fire

The waste tipped on to Vera Crescent in Rainworth
-Credit: (Image: Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service)

A bin lorry was forced to dump its load on to a residential street in Nottinghamshire after a vape caused a fire. Tonnes of rubbish were tipped out in Vera Crescent, Rainworth on Tuesday (July 2) morning.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, which received a call at 8.15am, said a vape that had not been correctly disposed of had caused a fire in the lorry. They said crews from Blidworth and Mansfield made the decision to remove the rubbish from the vehicle to stop the blaze from spreading.

In a statement on social media, it said the clear-up was being handled by Newark and Sherwood District Council. "Nobody wants this on their doorstep, so we ask that you all dispose of your vapes appropriately," it said.

Get the latest news straight to your phone by joining us on WhatsApp

"Always take them to a recycling centre, and never dispose of them at home. Thank you to the local residents for their patience whilst we deal with this incident, and thanks to our partners at NSDC for their assistance." A spokesperson said nobody was injured.